Saturday, April 25, 2009

O behold the curious tragedy!

from the mind of adam j. gonzales: 200710222232


I’m pissed off about two things: peanut butter & white bread.

So it has been a very long time since I made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. This morning, I ventured from my abode and battled the harsh, unrelenting environment at approximately seven in the morning. Dust and wind bounced off my face with great intensity. However, this did not prevent my endeavor; I finally made it to Ralphs with breath intact.

Preparing a peanut butter & jelly is a rigorous task. I just don't go into a grocery store & pick-up the first set of ingredients that capture my eye: there is a ritual involved.

First, I located the pure preservatives Knotts Berry Farm strawberry jelly and placed the object firmly into my plastic cart. With impending doom a distant thought, I walked through the gauntlet of coupons and uneven floors towards the other ingredients. After a prolonged duration, I painstakingly tried and failed to locate the peter pan peanut butter. No other peanut butter will suffice; the ingredients must be exact. Unfortunately, the company that once provided my specific peanut butter has ceased to produce the substance. In conjunction with this misfortune, wonder bread; a lifeless patron of sustenance, no longer sells their product in Southern California. In sum, I am left with only a third of the ingredients needed to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Must I sacrifice perfection for a paler version that will leave me empty and unsatiated?

O behold the folly of man! O behold the inhumanity! O behold the curious tragedy!

-a.j.g

No comments:

Post a Comment